PCC Release Notes
This page lists new features, enhancements, and bug fixes in the latest Pocket CowCard for Android and Pocket CowCard for Windows Mobile releases. Expand the sections below to learn more!
PCC for Android - Version v2103191053
Build Date: 03/19/21
Release Date: 03/24/21
- Improved display of protocols on event entry – PCC‑887, PCC‑541: During event entry, protocols are now shown by display order instead of protocol number order:
- Added support for longer protocol remarks – PCC‑887, PCC‑873: You can now enter protocol remarks as long as 16 characters. The previous limit was 8 characters:
- Repaired use of multiple worklists – PCC‑887, PCC‑541: Users can scan animals across multiple open worklists while not focused on the Cow tab. This provides a "short term" way to combine worklist actions into a single worklist for the long term. Note that this method is considered experimental and may not be sustainable for future versions of the app or for DairyComp mobile.
- Corrected error when scanning with an open prompt – PCC‑887, PCC‑861: An error occurred within the breeding grid when RFID scanning while a system prompt was open. This issue has been resolved. However, it is still best practice to not scan while a system prompt is open or when inputting data.
- 2020/12/23 – IMPORTANT: RFID scanning with outstanding prompts may cause crashes: VAS recommends responding to any screen prompts before proceeding to the next RFID scan. Continuing to scan animals with outstanding prompts causes known issues in the Vet Form, Hospital Form, and Breeding Grid. We are investigating these issues and will address them in a future release.
- 2020/11/17 – How to prevent an Android Device from auto-updating its OS: To prevent issues in the future, please turn off your device’s ability to auto update its OS, see basic example for 9.0 devices:
- Swipe down from the top edge of your screen to reveal the quick settings menu.
- Tap the cog (also called ‘gear’) icon, which is usually in the upper right corner.
- Tap “Software Update” from the list of options.
- Deselect “Download updates automatically”.
- Make sure all options are deselected.
- 2020/10/28 – Deprecating support for Android 5 devices by March 19th, 2021: To improve development and testing timeframes, we plan to no longer support devices running Android 5 after 3/19/2021. Please look to upgrading your devices to a version of Android running 8.x to 11.x for longer term support with PCC Android. We plan to phase out older versions as we progress through the upcoming year.TIP Click here for an archive of previous known issues.
Build Date: 08/06/20
Release Date: 08/10/20
PCC for Android - Version v2102091450
Build Date: 02/09/21
Release Date: 02/09/21
- Improved animal scanning speed with worklists – PCC-878, PCC-868: The time it takes to process an animal in a worklist has once again been improved (down from 100 to 35 milliseconds), allowing you to scan more animals in less time with fewer app crashes:
- Updated version of Firebase in the app – PCC‑878, PCC‑859: The version of Firebase used by the app has been updated from a version previously deprecated by Google.
- Updated End-User License Agreement (EULA) for the app – PCC‑878, PCC‑866: A revision has been made to the EULA as of January 11th, 2021:
- Show all "day details" on the hospital form – PCC‑878, PCC‑464: The "Day" field on the hospital form now shows details on event protocols that have designated day details defined after the treatment days of a protocol are complete:
- Pocket CowCard app file available through DC305 Web Updater – PCC‑871: Users who are downloading/installing the PCC app from an unofficial source (i.e., "sideloading") can find the latest version of the app after performing an update to DC305 from the Web Updater. The file name is PCC-ANDROID.APK and is located in the DC305\AXIM or DC\AXIM folder:
See Update DC305 to the Latest Release to learn more.
PCC for Android - Version 2012231001
Build Date: 12/23/20
Release Date: 01/05/21
- End of Life for Android 5.x devices coming in March! – PCC-862, PCC-848: Support for PCC Android 5.x devices will end on March 19th, 2021, and this release includes a notification that your devices should be running Android operating system 7.x to 11.x before that date. Be sure to upgrade or replace your devices before March 19th!
- Improved scanning speed with worklists – PCC‑862, PCC‑856: The app now processes scans more quickly (down to 100ms from 300ms), allowing you scan more animals in less time and with fewer app crashes.
- Increased battery life with worklists – PCC‑862, PCC‑860: The app now requires less battery power while processing worklists. As part of our effort to improve scanning speeds, we also made code enhancements that increase battery life and boost app stability.
- Scanning issues with unanswered PEN validation prompt – PCC‑862, PCC‑853: Repaired unexpected crashes that occurred when continuing to scan animals while the “Wrong Pen” prompt remained unanswered. VAS recommends responding to any screen prompts before proceeding to the next RFID scan.
PCC for Android - Version 2011161600
Build Date: 11/16/20
Release Date: 11/17/20
- Android 11 Support – PCC‑845, PCC‑852:PCC Android now supports devices running the Android 11 operating system.
- Scanning Issues in Latest Version – PCC‑840, PCC‑852: Repaired unexpected crashes that occurred while scanning animals in the previous PCC Android app version released on October 6th, 2020 (V2010021354).
For release notes prior to August 2020, please see the Pocket CowCard Release Notes Archive on the VAS website.
- 2020/12/03 – Must use the COW tab when using multiple TODO lists: We have encountered issues when processing multiple worklists from outside of the COW tab, as the app only finds animals on the list that you currently have open. VAS recommends only working from the COW tab when processing multiple lists. Or, an even better solution is to redo your worklists into a single list. The option to process multiple lists concurrently is becoming increasingly complicated and is not sustainable on the Mobile Platform in the long run. This feature will be deprecated in favor of speed, dependability, and simplicity.
- 2020/08/04 – Android 10/11 no longer supports the display of (IMEI) DEVICE IDs: Customers who are affected will need to contact support in the event their device is not registered and are not using “Good Will” PCC license certificates.
- 2020/05/26 – DC305 license and application upgrade required: Future improvements for the Android version of PCC and the VAS Platform will require that you upgrade your Version 5 DC305 licenses to Version 8. An application upgrade to the XE version of DC305 will also be required.
- 2020/05/26 – Ending PCC Android support for the DC305 Version 5 Cowfile/License: To streamline programming and improve the support experience with PCC Android, we are announcing an “End of Life” in supporting data exchange with the DC305 Version 5 Cowfile/License. IMPORTANT: Customers are encouraged to migrate to the Version 8 Cowfile/License by December 31st, 2020 to continue using PCC Android in 2021. Please contact your Sales/Support Specialist for assistance in making the needed upgrade to Version 8.
- 2020/05/19 – Update to Google's security regarding apps from unknown sources: This is the first release where a new Google security notification has popped up for PCC APK. Users must click Install Anyway, or else PCC will not install.
- 2020/01/13 – CAUTION: Uninstalling the PCC app will remove it and all associated data from your device: This means you will lose all your custom settings, herd folders, unposted transactions, and archived transactions on the device if you uninstall the PCC app. If you must uninstall your app, please deliver any unposted transactions to DC305 first, and then consider renaming your app folder COM.VAS.PCC. We are looking at ways to preserve some of the content, if possible, based on how Google’s Android handles the uninstall process.
- 2020/01/13 – The server that handles the distribution of the PCC Android app will be discontinued soon: We are planning to use the Google Play Store as the new method for distributing the PCC Android app.
- 2019/12/12 – Scanning new animals into the herd from a TODO list or AD-HOC event: Scanning of a new animal into the herd currently adds that animal to DC305 immediately. In a future PCC Android release, we plan to match the current Windows Mobile functionality and instruct the DC305 Server to hold those new "add" transactions rather than immediately adding them to the system.
- 2019/11/13 – Scan method overwrite: Scan method items may be changed inadvertently from their original values when tapping on animals from the QUEUE or DONE tabs in worklists. For instance, an R or V method may update to a T. This issue will be addressed in an upcoming release.
- 2019/10/11 – DC305 license and application upgrade required: Future improvements for the Android version of PCC and the VAS Platform will require that you upgrade your Version 5 DC305 licenses to Version 8. An application upgrade to the XE version of DC305 will also be required.
- 2019/03/07 – Android Nougat 7.1.2, 8.1.0, and other newer versions cannot read 8-digit SD Card – PCC-315: Google has removed the ability to read the 8-digit SD Card ID on newer versions of Android. The current method is to use the Device ID for the licensing of Pocket CowCard at the time of registration.